Saturday, February 11, 2006

What do I save???

Today in the pharmacy a man brought me a prescription for a drug that said take 2 pills daily. I asked him if he took both pills at the same time and he replied yes. I said do you mind if I substitute the higher strength tablet, You would only be taking 1 pill a day and it would save the insurance company about $60 a month (I’m sure my employer would not really like me doing this since it cost them sales, but the hell with them that is not where my loyalties lie). Of course, his question is how much do I save? And I said nothing you will still pay the same $20 copay. His reply—“Whatever”

This is the problem with healthcare in America. No one realizes that by saving your Pharmacy Benefit manager money you will in turn be saving your employer money and if everyone was to do this there would be a less likely chance that your premiums and copays would go up the following year. The only way to get healthcare cost under control is if we all take an active roll in our healthcare. I just saved this mans company $720 a year and if I had my way I would have changed the drug and saved them $2300 a year and not changed the therapeutics one bit. Oh well, I am only 1 man in a sea of people who want the drug their doctor gave them because he is a god and I am only a pill counter. Here’s hoping New Mexico passes the therapeutic interchange law which will allow me to do what I was trained to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters